UPDATE: As of 7:30 p.m. Friday, the freeway is back open but drivers may still experience some delays.
UPDATE: As of 7 p.m. Friday, one lane of southbound I-5 was still shut down, with the other lanes open.
Fire officials said the fire mostly burned on the southbound side of the free, but a small amount of the northbound side burned as well, causing the entire freeway to be shut down for about 20 minutes.
The fire also jumped onto the roof of the Village Green hotel, but crews quickly put it out.
Fire crews said they do not know the cause of the fire yet, but there are signs of a homeless camp nearby.
COTTAGE GROVE, Ore. -- A grass fire shut down Interstate 5 in Cottage Grove late Friday afternoon.
The fire was burning on Gateway Boulevard near milepost 175. Officials responded just after 5 p.m.
Crews are clearing back the brush. There is no word on what caused the fire.
Stay with KEZI 9 News for updates.
- Grass fire shuts down I-5 in Cottage Grove
- Fires break out along I-5 near Creswell, Cottage Grove
- One killed, another injured in I-5 wreck near Cottage Grove
- Driver hospitalized after rollover crash on I-5 near Cottage Grove
- Fatal crash along Cottage Grove Reservoir shuts down road
- Cottage Grove armory sparks controversy
- Cottage Grove carousel wins award
- Missing Cottage Grove woman located
- Cottage Grove celebrates Earth Day
- Cottage Grove aquatic center reopens