ROSEBURG, OR. -- Douglas County Commissioner Gary Leif has been selected to fill the vacant State Representative spot left by now-Senator Dallas Heard.
Douglas, Jackson, And Josephine County Commissioners picked him to fill Heard's seat as State Representative.
Heard is taking over for senator Jeff Kruse, after he resigned amid sexual harassment allegations.
Leif was selected in a unanimous vote.
“This seat is sort of near and dear to me. I held it for six years. It’s very important work," said Douglas County Commissioner Tim Freeman. "Those of you who were willing to put your name down to serve in that role, it’s very much appreciated. To Gary, who I’m assuming will get to hear some of these comments, good luck.”
Leif will now have to meet with the Secretary of State and the House Republican Office to set a date to be sworn in, which must happen before May 17th.
- Gary Leif selected to fill vacant District 2 seat in Oregon House
- Newly appointed State Rep. Gary Leif to be sworn in on Wednesday
- Confusion in the vote for Oregon House District 2 seat
- Incumbent Gary Williams loses East Lane County Commissioner seat
- Fire destroys vacant house in Newport
- Crews investigate vacant house fire in Lebanon
- Roseburg School District selects finalists in superintendent search
- House Democrats pull support from candidate in key Oregon district
- OHSU selects next president
- Vacant home catches fire overnight in Lebanon