EUGENE, Ore. -- A record number of fans flooded into Autzen Stadium Saturday to watch country music mega star Garth Brooks take the stage.
For Marci Murdock and her daughter Katie Peterson, this concert meant so much more. It's a family affair -- a tradition nearly three decades in the making.
Twenty-nine years ago Murdock was pregnant with Katie at a Reba concert that Garth opened for in Portland.
She says that was her daughter's first Garth Brooks experience and she’s had that country love in her blood ever since.
"She still loves Garth to this day too," said Murdock.
"It's insane," added Peterson. "She just beat breast cancer -- she's been cancer free for a year -- so it was like we have to do it. We got fourth row seats, everything just fell into place to make it perfect."
The event not only attracted fans from our area, but areas from across the country.
Bubba Strauss is from Cleveland and this is his 61st Garth Brooks concert.
He said he's travelled to all of Brooks' stadium shows and he's doing it for a special cause.
"This is my 61st Garth Brooks concert," Strauss started. "(I've) been travelling with him for all the stadium shows with what's called 'Veterans for Garth' and every area I go to or city or state I hook up with a local veterans organization and I treat a veteran with floor seats to see the concert," he finished.
Strauss says no two concerts are the same and his favorite part of each show is the different energy that the area brings to the show.
He also says that it means the world to the veterans he gets to honor in every city he travels to and he doesn't anticipate stopping any time soon.
Fans said they hope Brooks comes back to Autzen soon because the energy he creates is what makes this community so special.
- Garth Brooks to be a tradition, fans say
- Garth Brooks to perform in Eugene
- Garth Brooks concert sparks ticket scam concerns
- More seats available for Garth Brooks concert
- Garth Brooks sets record after Friday ticket frenzy
- Garth Brooks concert a boost for businesses in Lane County
- Garth Brooks to draw record crowd at Autzen Stadium on Saturday
- Garth Brooks talks Eugene concert and more with KEZI 9 News
- Eugene to consider ban on traditional panhandling
- Dillon Brooks scores 19 in NBA debut