(CNN) -- A recall was issued for four types of Duncan Hines cake mix due to possible salmonella contamination, the US Food and Drug Administration said Monday.
The voluntary recall was issued by Conagra Brands due to "a positive finding of Salmonella in a retail sample of Duncan Hines Classic White cake mix that may be linked to a Salmonella outbreak that is currently being investigated by CDC (US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) and FDA," Conagra said in a statement.
The DNA fingerprint found in that sample of cake mix matches the DNA fingerprint identified by the CDC in five cases of salmonella illness, according to the FDA.
Several of the individuals who are sick told health investigators they consumed cake mix before their symptoms began, according to Conagra.
The recalled cake mixes were distributed nationwide and to some international exporters. They are all 15.25 oz boxes of mix.
The recalled white cake mix has best if used by dates of March 7, 8, 9, 10, 12 and 13, 2019 and the UPC code 644209307500.
The recalled yellow cake mix has best if used by dates of March 9, 10, 12 and 13, 2019 and the UPC code 644209307494.
The recalled butter golden cake mix has best if used by dates of March 7, 8 and 9, 2019 and the UPC code 644209307593.
The recalled confetti cake mix has best if used by dates of March 12 and 13, 2019 and the UPC code 644209414550.
"The FDA is advising consumers not to bake with or eat any recalled cake mix," the agency said. Retailers should no longer sell these recalled mixes and consumers who have recalled mixes should contact Duncan Hines or the store where the mix was purchased for a refund.
The agency also reminded consumers to wash hands, utensils and work surfaces well after using raw batter. In addition, the FDA said, consumers should follow baking instructions and "never eat raw batter."
As part of the ongoing investigation into the outbreak the FDA said it is inspecting the Conagra facility where the recalled cake mixes were produced and collecting environmental samples there.
- Duncan Hines cake mix recalled due to salmonella outbreak
- Frozen tuna recalled amid salmonella outbreak
- Deadly salmonella outbreak forces USDA to recall raw turkey
- Salmonella outbreak linked to kratom products
- Salmonella outbreak linked to backyard chickens
- Dole recalls baby spinach over salmonella concerns
- 5.1 million pounds of beef added to recall due to salmonella
- Oregon school closes due to flu outbreak
- 39 tons of Butterball ground turkey recalled after salmonella cases
- Salmonella outbreak tied to raw turkey expands with 63 more illnesses