SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- A former Springfield police chief is vouching for the character of an officer accused of lying in a public hearing during an investigation into another officer's alleged misconduct.
Patrol officer Ryan Stone has been on paid administrative leave since April.
Lt. Scott McKee, who led the investigation into Stone, said he was also placed on leave this past Saturday after he was accused of lying by an attorney representing the local police union during a grievance hearing involving officer Stone.
READ MORE: Lt. McKee's full statement
Tim Doney, who hired McKee, served as chief in Springfield for three years and left in 2016.
"He's been ethical and cares a great deal about his community and the department and it's members," Doney said.
Stone was placed on leave after an internal investigation looked into alleged excessive force he used during two separate arrests. McKee claims that some in the department are attempting to cover up officer misconduct.
Doney said he doesn't know the details about the controversy but said it wasn't easy taking over after the last chief left after 31 years.
"My employment there came on the heels on a very a long-term chief, and there was certainly some personal issues along with that," Doney said.
McKee said an outside investigator will be hired to look into the matter. KEZI 9 News reached out to Chief Lewis of the Springfield Police Department as well as city leaders including the mayor, but all declined to comment.
Doney is currently with the Talent Police Department.
- Former Springfield police chief vouches for officer on leave
- Springfield police lieutenant put on leave
- Springfield School District superintendent leaving
- Cahoots could be leaving Springfield
- Springfield police officer under criminal investigation
- Springfield Police Chief: End of ICE contract official
- Springfield school director placed on leave
- Fire in Springfield leaves one man homeless
- Springfield police investigate suspicious device
- Springfield police investigating bomb threat at Gateway Street post office