Photo Gallery 1 Images
EUGENE, Ore. -- KEZI received reports around 7 a.m. of a structure fire in Downtown Eugene on the 1400 block of Olive Street.
When Eugene police arrived to the scene, witnesses told them they saw a man running from the structure.
Officers were able to locate and arrest the suspect who has since been identified as 45-year-old Ted Alan Jarrett.
Police said Jarrett had non life threatening burns. They told KEZI 9 News he had been trespassing and living in the vacant building for the past month.
Sorccia Stewart is a Eugene native who lives not too far from where the fire was started.
"People do strange things under tight circumstances, especially when it comes to not having a home or not having enough food," Stewart said.
After the flames had settled, officers found evidence of illegal manufacturing of marijuana byproducts.
"I feel like people are under stressful situations and with the homeless population just being out in the roads, it causes public unsafety," Stewart said.
The building at 1421 Olive Street was heavily damaged and the fire also spread to 1419 Olive Street. Luckily, the resident of 1419 was not home at the time of the fire.
Residents of the apartment building next door had to evacuate due to the heavy smoke and danger of the fire spreading to that location too.
Jarrett was taken to the hospital for treatment and then released to jail.
Officials said he has burns to his hands, arms and legs.
He is being charged with Recklessly endangering, Burglary 2, Arson related manufacture of Cannabinoid Extract in First Degree and Warrant.
KEZI spoke with a neighbor who saw the incident unfold.
"I heard someone screaming and then there was a boom, and then there was a fire," Cathryn Murray said. "It was really close to our apartment complex."
- Man accused of starting structure fire
- Fire crews investigate two story structure fire
- Homes, structures destroyed by fire near Dorena
- Structure fire in Coquille under investigation
- Man accused of starting a fire in a Roseburg Safeway
- California authorities arrest man accused of starting Klamathon Fire
- Man accused of starting more than 20 fires in Portland
- Certain fire crews best fit for wildland, structure fires
- Several crews respond to a large structure fire in Creswell
- Fire destroys RV and parking structure in west Eugene