SPRINGFIELD, Ore. – Firefighters responded to a small electric fire at McKenzie-Willamette Medical Center on Monday.
An area of the hospital off of G Street was evacuated while firefighters looked for the source of smoke in the attic.
Jana Waterman of McKenzie-Willamette said some employees were sent home, while the rest of the hospital continued to operate normally. Employees in hospital administration, IT, human resources and accounting were sent home. The wound care facility was also evacuated and some of its patients were sent home.
Firefighters discovered that the source of the smoke was a mechanical malfunction in a pump in the attic. The pump was turned off and will be replaced.
The HVAC system was turned back on to rid the hospital of smoke and to get fresh air back into the building. They also opened all the vents in the attic to increase air flow, as well as interior and exterior doors in that part of the building.
The fire at the hospital at 1460 G Street was called in just before 1 p.m.