Firefighters issue warning about carbon monoxide poisoning

"Neither humans nor pets can detect it. It's odorless. It's tasteless and there's no sound," said Lt. Miller.

Posted: May 20, 2018 6:30 PM
Updated: May 20, 2018 6:48 PM

VENETA, Ore. -- Firefighters are warning people about a silent killer: carbon monoxide. This comes just days after they responded to a tragic call near Veneta.

Last week, Lt. Tressa Miller said Lane Fire Authority found a man and his dog both dead inside a trailer.

She said while firefighters were inside his home, they started not feeling well. That's when they measured the level of carbon monoxide in the trailer and Miller says it was extremely high.

She said the two likely died from CO poisoning, from a propane heater in the room.

"Neither humans nor pets can detect it. It's odorless. It's tasteless and there's no sound...so pretty much you're just going off symptoms," said Miller. "And again, if you're by yourself, or you and your pet are just not feeling well, not acting correctly, get out to fresh air until you can figure out what's going on."

Miller said it's important to have a CO detector on each level of your home with bedrooms. 

Some symptoms of poisoning to watch for are headaches, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness.

Article Comments

Eugene
Scattered Clouds
71° wxIcon
Hi: 79° Lo: 51°
Feels Like: 71°
Corvallis
Broken Clouds
68° wxIcon
Hi: 78° Lo: 51°
Feels Like: 68°
Roseburg
Overcast
67° wxIcon
Hi: 80° Lo: 54°
Feels Like: 67°
North Bend
Overcast
66° wxIcon
Hi: 68° Lo: 53°
Feels Like: 66°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner

LATEST FORECAST

Community Events