EUGENE, Ore. -- Eugene Springfield Fire's newest recruits got some hands-on training, preparing for them anything that comes their way this season.
"Everyone's feeling really excited for it," said Alex Gillette, a firefighter/paramedic recruit.
Thursday afternoon, Gillette and the 13 other recruits in his class did live fire training and experienced how fire behaves inside of a building.
Fire officials said during the couple-hour training, they went into the "burn building" to extinguish fires, conduct searches and practice rescues. It's a building designed for training.
Spokesperson Rachael Anderson said it's similar to a house or a business building, so it helps prepare them for any fire, including ones that happen during the holiday season.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they are more likely to be serious. It reports that a small fire that spreads to a Christmas tree can grow large very quickly.
So as you deck the halls this holiday season, make sure to inspect your holiday lights. Anderson said to replace any worn lights. Another tip is to add water to the tree stand daily.
"Don't let your tree get dry once it's been purchased," Anderson said. "Don't put a space heater next to it."
She said to keep your tree at least 3 feet from any heat source, including a space heater, fire place, candles, etc.
"It's the holiday season, and we just want everyone to stay safe out there and be able to enjoy it," Gillette said.
- Firefighter recruits train to battle flames
- Flames engulf Florence business
- Junction City firefighters battle "challenging" industrial fire
- Local firefighters battling top priority Substation Fire
- Hundreds of Oregon firefighters battling California blazes
- Firefighter injured battling Milepost 97 Fire
- Flames tear through Creswell barn
- Corvallis firefighters participate in structure burn training
- Flames and smoke billow from Creswell home
- Pleasant Hill house engulfed in flames