EUGENE, Ore. -- With so many in Lane County using generators during the storm, fire officials want you to use caution.
Lt. Tressa Miller with Lane Fire Authority said to never use a generator or anything powered by propane inside your home.
Miller said it needs to be at least 20 feet away from any open doors or windows...even vents.
She also suggests when using a generator to have a battery powered co-alarm alarm near where you sleep to wake you up if levels get too high.
The CDC said more than 500 Americans die every year due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
“CO poisoning can kill you,” Miller said. “One of the worst things about it is that its colorless and odorless so you're not going to notice the signs and symptoms until it’s pretty...pretty severe."
She said the early signs to look out for are chest pains, headaches, nausea, and vomiting.
She said a later, more severe sign is rosy red cheeks.
- Fire officials warn of carbon monoxide poisoning with generator use
- Firefighters issue warning about carbon monoxide poisoning
- Carbon monoxide leak forces 180 people out of their homes
- Parents concerned about carbon monoxide exposure at school
- Local family warns others after losing pet to salmon poisoning
- Officials warn about tick season
- Two cats poisoned in Springfield
- 'Coldest air in a generation' hits the Midwest. Officials warn of almost instant frostbite
- Lane County fire officials warn of potential wildfire risks
- Officials issue warning after drones reported over Milepost 97 Fire