NOTI, Ore. – A fire broke out in a 13-year-old’s bedroom early Sunday morning in the 22000 block of Noti Loop.
The fire spread throughout the room, and the 13-year-old woke up to the sounds of the flames.
Lt. Tressa Miller with the Lane Fire Authority said the girl ran to alert her father, who was able to exinguish the fire with a garden hose.
The family’s smoke detector was not working and didn’t detect the fire, Miller said.
"There were no working smoke alarms, nothing to alert this family. It could've been much worse than what it was," said Miller.
Miller said the fire started from an electrical outlet.
The bedroom was significantly damaged, and the house will need to be repaired before the family can move back in.
"The most important thing, have a working smoke alarm in every room. Every room that's used as a sleeping room needs to have a smoke alarm, a working smoke alarm," Miller said.
- Fire in Noti child's bedroom a reminder to check smoke detectors
- Firefighters install smoke detectors in Springfield neighborhood
- Noti woman killed in Highway 126 crash near Veneta
- Red Cross and Sutherlin Fire Dept. to hand out smoke detectors
- Oregon couple finds burglar asleep on bedroom floor
- Police shoot Amity man suspected of sneaking into bedroom
- Eugene woman finds drone hovering outside bedroom window
- Smoke alarm recall
- Fire sends plume of black smoke into air in Eugene
- Smoke from Terwilliger Fire impacts Lane County residents