EUGENE, Ore. – A restaurant in Eugene is shut down after a fire Wednesday morning that the owner tried to put out.
It happened just after 11 a.m. at BBQ by Tony on River Road near River Loop 2.
Firefighters said the owner, Tony Brown, tried to put out the fire out by himself by climbing onto the roof with a fire extinguisher, but it didn’t work.
Ryan Rhodes said he went to the restaurant to have lunch with friends and saw smoke.
“All of a sudden I walk out and it’s just smoking,” Rhodes said. “[Brown] started running around, trying to put it out.”
Brown said he plans to rebuild his restaurant, but it will take time.
“I’ve been here for 18 years and it’s the first time in 18 that something of this nature, this bad, you know, it’s really devastating,” Brown said.
- Fire forces Eugene barbecue restaurant to close
- House fire forces Eugene family to evacuate
- Deportation raids affect Eugene restaurant
- Ex-restaurant owner sentenced for forced labor
- Café Yumm! in Eugene closed after fire
- Multiple fires inside South Eugene High School force evacuation
- Downtown Eugene survey closes soon
- Graduate Eugene closes over coronavirus
- Brails Restaurant closes after break-in
- Fire damages Eugene businesses