SUTHERLIN, Ore. – A fire destroyed a home early Saturday morning on Calapooia Street, between SW Valentine Avenue and Valley Court, according to a neighbor who saw the fire.
That neighbor, Joe Davis said he saw the fire from his home a few blocks away. He said he went to the home to try and help the residents.
"When I got there, I ran to the front door and the people were still in the house,” Davis said.
He said there were multiple pets that were in the home at the time of the fire. With the help of one of the residents, Davis said he tried to get as many animals out of the home before the fire spread.
Davis said it is likely several animals did not make it out.
“It was a horrible experience, it was awful and I feel horrible for these folks,” Davis said.
The Sutherlin Fire Department responded to the fire and said it is still under investigation. Officials have not yet determined what may have caused the fire or how much damage was done.
Sutherlin Fire also sent out a press release saying the cause of the fire was a car outside the home catching fire.
All 6 people who were inside the home at the time of the fire made it out safely however, at least one animal was lost in the fire.
This is an ongoing investigation. Stay with KEZI for updates.
- Fire destroys home in Sutherlin
- Fire destroys home in Lebanon
- Fire destroys Eugene mobile home
- Springfield home destroyed by fire
- Fire destroys Linn County home
- Sutherlin High School receives award
- Homes, structures destroyed by fire near Dorena
- Early morning fire destroys Eugene home
- Early morning fire destroys home in Eugene
- Sutherlin creates working group to discuss fire services