SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- The shooting that left one person dead and two officers injured March 31 was justified, the Lane County District Attorney's Office said.
Stacy William Kenny was killed on Olympic Street in Springfield after a vehicle pursuit in which Kenny stopped and drove off several times.
District Attorney Patty Perlow said Officer Kraig Akins pulled Kenny over for traffic violations. Akins called for backup when Kenny threw a device making an electronic alarm sound from his window.
During the second stop, Akins approached the vehicle with his firearm drawn, and Kenny dialed 911. Kenny again drove off.
When Kenny parked for the third time, Akins parked behind the car and Sgt. Rick Lewis parked in front. They then tried to get Kenny out of the vehicle. Perlow said Kenny became erratic, leading Akins and Lewis to bust out the windows. A third officer showed up and used a Taser on Kenny. Akins also used a Taser, but neither attempt was successful.
Perlow said Lewis opened the passenger door, crawled into the vehicle and was going to unbuckle Kenny's seatbelt when Kenny took off, with one of Lewis' feet still outside the car. Kenny hit Lewis' SUV and drove at speeds up to 70 mph. Lewis tried to get Kenny to stop, but Kenny wouldn't comply. Perlow said Lewis felt he had no choice but to shoot Kenny.
"Imagine how alarming that was for Sgt. Lewis as he was in a vehicle speeding 70 mph, not even a seatbelt on, struggling to gain control of that," Perlow said. "It was just a tremendous, emotional, impactful scene."
Lewis fired three times and hit Kenny in the torso, but Kenny didn't respond. Lewis then fired two fatal shots, which hit Kenny in the head. Perlow said the car went up on a sidewalk, hit a fence and then a delivery truck.
Lewis is still recovering from a broken arm.
- Fatal officer-involved shooting in Springfield ruled justified
- DA: Officers justified in Coos Bay officer-involved shooting
- DA: Officer-involved shooting at Cascade Middle School was justified
- Suspect in Springfield officer-involved shooting identified
- Officers justified in fatal shooting of man in Bandon
- Man justified in fatal shooting outside his Central Oregon home
- DA finds use of force justified in two officer-involved shootings
- DA: Use of deadly force justified in Eugene officer-involved shooting
- DA: Use of deadly force justified in Cottage Grove officer-involved shooting
- Grand jury: Portland State University officers justified in shooting