VANCOUVER, Wash. (AP) - The family of a 13-year-old girl in Washington says the teen died while playing a dangerous game.
KOMO-TV reports family and friends of Gabby Perez gathered Wednesday at Cascade Middle School for a candlelight vigil. Perez was a seventh-grader at the school.
Her family says she died Feb. 6 while playing a choking game, also known as the "pass out game," where a person will stop the flow of oxygen until they pass out.
Vancouver police say they are investigating Perez's death but say they're waiting on the medical examiner's official cause of death before commenting.
While the incident did not occur on campus, the district sent a letter to parents from Cascade Middle School Principal Kristin White.
White, in the letter, says there will continue to be counseling teams at the school.
- Family: Teen girl dies after playing dangerous choking game
- Police warn teens about driving dangers
- Expert weighs in on wildfire smoke danger after firefighter dies
- 2 teens attacked while playing tag at playground
- Police: Oregon teen shoots self playing Russia Roulette
- Boys & Girls Club brings mental health service to teens
- Eugene Police say stranger approached teen girl walking home
- Teen abused by now-former Boys & Girls Club employee
- Teen girl gets 25 years for role in father's slaying
- Special Report: Gaming skills earn Eugene teen college scholarship