Explosive fire destroys shop in Sweet Home

The shop is a total loss and multiple trees were torched by the fire.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 7:07 AM
Updated: Apr 10, 2020 10:52 AM

SWEET HOME, Ore. – Fire crews were dispatched to a shop on fire Thursday afternoon, and after investigating they believe the fire was sparked unintentionally by someone welding flammable materials.

Sweet Home Fire was dispatched at around 4:10 p.m. to the shop on fire. When firefighters arrived, they found the shop was fully engulfed dangerously close to Oak Heights Elementary School.

Fire crews and witnesses reported hearing and seeing several explosions. They are believed to have been caused by tires, propane tanks and gas tanks.

Fir trees caught fire and eventually were torched. The fire brought out a huge response from not only the Sweet Home fire department but Lebanon, Brownsville, and Halsey as well.

A second alarm was canceled after fire crews got a handle on the fire and extinguished a bark dust fire near the elementary that was started by embers from the shop fire.

No injuries were reported.

Partly Cloudy
37° wxIcon
Hi: 47° Lo: 32°
Feels Like: 30°
Partly Cloudy
38° wxIcon
Hi: 43° Lo: 28°
Feels Like: 38°
Mostly Cloudy
35° wxIcon
Hi: 54° Lo: 32°
Feels Like: 35°
North Bend
Partly Cloudy
63° wxIcon
Hi: 61° Lo: 38°
Feels Like: 63°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner


Community Events