LYONS, Ore. – Evacuations have been ordered as a fire continues to grow in Lyons, the Oregon Department of Forestry said.
ODF's public information officer said the fire is active on the northeast side of North Santiam State Park.
Linn County is now under Level 2 evacuation, however, Marion County is still under Level 3.
So far, 20 percent of the fire is contained within the 60 acres that was burned.
Officials said it was reported Tuesday afternoon near the North Santiam State Recreation Area off Highway 22. Strong east winds caused the fire to jump the Santiam River.
ODF is working with the Lyons Fire Department and the Linn County Sheriff’s Office on the fire.
Level 3 “GO” evacuations were in place Tuesday for residents west of Neighbor’s Lane, including 25th Avenue, River Loop and Oak Lane. About 35 homes and 30 outbuildings were threatened as of Tuesday night, but no structures have been lost. The Red Cross has identified Mari-Linn Elementary School as an evacuation center.
For more information about the evacuations, contact deputies at 541-967-3950.
“Our partners at the local level along with our ODF resources have done an outstanding job during initial attack today,” ODF Incident Commander Blake Ellis said. “We appreciate the teamwork of all agencies involved."
Crews from the Mill City and Sublimity fire departments, and other local agencies, were also assisting in firefighting efforts.
The North Santiam State Recreation Area is closed.
- Evacuations in place as Santiam Park Fire grows in Lyons
- Evacuations lifted in Lyons as crews fight Santiam Park Fire
- Santiam Park Fire fully lined in Lyons, ODF says
- Mari-Linn school turns into fire evacuation center in Lyons
- Saving Santiam Pass Ski Lodge
- Blown transformer leads to shots fired call at Lyons school
- Two killed in crash near Santiam Pass
- Dangerous driving conditions on Santiam Pass
- Two-A-Days: Santiam Christian Eagles
- Wasco County sheriff orders evacuation as Long Hollow Fire grows