EUGENE, Ore. -- Springfield police have arrested a man accused of sexually abusing a child over the course of several years.
Michael Childers, 43, of Eugene was taken to the Lane County Jail. He faces charges of first-degree rape, first and second-degree sodomy and first-degree sexual abuse. Additional charges may come at a later date, police said.
The Springfield Police Department began an investigation into the alleged sexual assault on Sept. 4.
Childers was arrested after investigators interviewed the victim, police said. The abuse reportedly started when the child was younger than 6. The victim is not related to Childers but did know him, investigators said.
This investigation is ongoing, and the Springfield Police Department is asking anyone with information on this case or Childers’ activities to contact the Investigations Bureau at 541-726-3721.
- Eugene man charged with child sexual abuse
- Winston man accused of child sexual abuse
- Junction City man accused of sexually abusing foster child
- Lane County man sentenced for sexually abusing a child
- Man accused of sexually abusing child in Lane County
- Springfield police arrest Eugene man on sex abuse charges
- 72-year-old Eugene man indicted on sex abuse charges
- Man sentenced for sexually abusing Oregon girl
- Political fundraiser facing sex abuse charges in Eugene
- Former Eugene church leader faces new sex abuse charges