Photo Gallery 3 Images
EUGENE, Ore. - Eugene Police received a call about two trespassers at a residence on the 2100 block of Willona Dr. just after 4 a.m. on Saturday, March 24.
The residence was home to 44-year-old Ammond Lutz, and his three teenage children. Lutz said his children woke him up early Saturday morning saying someone was in the garage. He said he quickly got dressed, grabbed his handgun, and went to check it out.
Lutz said he saw 22-year-old Ryan Best and 21-year-old Arcelia Vasquez-Smith upon opening the door. He said he pointed his gun at them and told them to get on the ground. He told his kids to call the police and said he held the trespassers there for 10 minutes while he waited for police to arrive.
Lutz said when they did arrive, he found himself relieved and even emotional.
"Backed away with my gun and put it on the table, sat down, and kind of lost it emotionally," said Lutz.
He said during that time he was holding the two trespassers in the garage, he realized that if either of them became a threat to either him or his family, he would have to make a difficult decision about firing his gun.
"I've never pointed a gun at a human being before, and that's a big decision, and you need to take it very seriously," Lutz said.
Lutz said it was clear that Best and Vasquez-Smith weren't attempting to steal anything, and that they simply ended up in the wrong residence. He said they did tell him that, but he felt he couldn't risk his family's safety by letting his guard down.
He said neither of them ever attempted to get up and get physical with him, but Best did continue to yell and get upset while he was on the ground.
Even though Lutz said he does understand that it was somewhat of a misunderstanding, he hopes the two trespassers understand how many lives they negatively affected that night.
Officers said the two were arrested on criminal trespassing charges.
- Eugene homeowner holds trespassers at gunpoint
- Taco Bell robbed at gunpoint in Eugene
- Anna’s Deli robbed at gunpoint in Eugene
- Masked woman robs Eugene coffee kiosk at gunpoint
- Man accused of stealing skateboards at gunpoint in Eugene
- Deputies: Man holds ex-girlfriend and her brother at gunpoint
- Springfield man robbed at gunpoint
- Bethel residents speak out against homeless trespassers
- Homeowner, dog safe after house fire in Eugene
- Market robbed at gunpoint, suspect sought