EUGENE, Ore. – The Eugene V.A. clinic needs more volunteers to help drive veterans to the Portland V.A. hospital.
Right now, they only have three drivers and are only able to bring veterans to Portland three days a week. They want at least two more volunteers, but would like even more if possible.
Volunteers said it’s easy and rewarding.
“In the six years that I’ve been doing this, there hasn’t been a single trip I’ve been on where the veterans I’ve transported haven’t thanked me, shaken my hand or shown appreciation for our volunteer services,” said David Fredmonsky, a volunteer driver. “That’s about as rewarding as it gets for me.”
The volunteer shifts run from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m., and drivers get a meal voucher for breakfast and lunch.
If you’d like to sign up, contact Andrea Bernhardt, the hospital service coordinator, at 541-440-1293.
- Eugene V.A. needs volunteer drivers
- SPECIAL REPORT: Eugene VA staff fear retaliation
- Roseburg VA director resigns
- Marathon Monday: Eugene Marathon Needs Volunteers
- DeFazio criticizes VA management in Eugene and Roseburg
- Driver arrested after police chase in Eugene
- DeFazio tours Roseburg VA campus
- Roseburg VA using alternative therapies
- Eugene Red Cross volunteer helping volcano victims in Hawaii
- Eugene Dive Club volunteers clean McKenzie River Saturday