EUGENE, Ore. -- A Hobby Rocket is being blamed for sparking a fire in west Eugene Sunday afternoon.
It started at around noon in a large field near West 18th Ave. and South Bertelsen Rd. The plume of smoke coming from it could be seen from miles away.
Crews with Eugene Springfield Fire said it burned 20 to 30 acres.
The flames burned less than 100 feet from Daniel Britting's property. He woke up to the fire and said he turned on his garden hose, just in case it got closer. He said his main concern was for his pets.
"I was more concerned if it does it close, I need to get my dogs out of here and get out of dodge," said Britting.
Eugene Police said this fire was accidentally sparked by a hobby rocket. They said the person who launched it has been cited for Criminal Mischief.
Cody Ellenbecker lives down the street from the field and said he's grateful for the fire crews quick response.
"Certainly appreciate their work trying to keep us safe," said Ellenbecker.