EUGENE, Ore. -- The Eugene Airport announced it is offering a new nonstop flight to San Diego.
Allegiant Air will be offering nonstop flights from the Eugene Airport to San Diego International Airport starting May 17. One way fares start as low as $59.
"Allegiant is excited to offer Eugene-area travelers their only ultra-low-cost, nonstop option to visit San Diego," said Lukas Johnson, Allegiant senior vice president of commercial. "The Eugene community has been very supportive of us, and we're pleased to be able to provide them with convenient, nonstop service to enjoy all that sunny destination has to offer."
The new seasonal service route will operate twice a week on Thursdays and Sundays. Right now, the service is only expected to last about six months, but airport officials said if it is popular with travelers, it could be offered year-round.
Airport officials said there are now a total of 12 nonstop destinations offered at Eugene Airport. Cathryn Stephens, the assistant airport director, said they have been working on getting non-stop flights to popular destinations around the country, and are excited to have more flights available to passengers.
"It's helping the airport grow and more importantly it's giving those options to people to fly locally instead of driving and flying out of a larger airport because we really do have very good connectivity now," Stephens said.
Some passengers at the airport said they have had a positive experience flying on some of the other nonstop routes.
"It's really nice, I can go online and find the price that I want and then I'm there. It's fantastic, I love it," Diane Vandehey-Neale said.
Stephens said the airport has been having record passenger years, and they are already tracking about 10 percent of what was originally anticipated for this year. She said by adding more flights, they are able to bring in larger aircraft, have more frequent flights and offer more roundtrips.
She said other destinations they are looking to add nonstop flights are to Orange County, Chicago, and Dallas.
- Eugene Airport will offer new nonstop flight to San Diego
- Daily nonstop flights to Chicago coming to Eugene Airport
- United Airlines plans nonstop football flights at Eugene Airport
- Snow fall delays flights at Eugene Airport
- PHOTO GALLERY: Oregon beats San Diego 65-55
- Eugene Airport offers travel tips for Thanksgiving
- Flights between Eugene and San Jose stopping in August
- Direct flights to Chicago begin at Eugene Airport
- Web Extra: Dana Altman after Oregon beat San Diego (12/12/18)
- US shuts down major San Diego port of entry as migrants rush border