SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- After years of downsizing, Symantec is selling its building to PacificSource.
The building is comprised of two sides, 200,000 square feet each, connected in the middle.
Symantec still occupies a portion of one side, and will continue to do so. Other than those 40,000 square feet, PacificSource would have the rest of the space to themselves, creating a huge opportunity for current and future employees.
Erick Doolen, the Chief Operating Officer at PacificSource, said it could mean more job opportunities for Lane County in the future.
"Right now we've got about 500 employees here, and we'll be looking to expand that and continue to add new jobs in the area as we move into the new facility,” Doolan said.
Doolan said the company plans to combine employees from its two current locations -- River Road in Eugene and International Way in Springfield.
“We were really looking at having to add a third location in the area, and that wasn’t very attractive for us, so having everybody together in one area is really exciting at PacificSource,” Doolan said.
Lane County Commissioner Sid Leiken said filling that building was important for the county. He said the company won't be the only one to reap the benefits.
"I just look at it as being a win-win for our community all the way across the board. You just don't want to see the grass grow, if you will, under a beautiful building like that,” Leiken said.
There was no timeline as of Thursday for when they'll start to make changes to the building.
Employees are expected to move in sometime next year.
- End of an era: PacificSource buying Symantec building
- PacificSource to buy Symantec building in Springfield
- End of an era at the Oregon Historical Society museum
- Oregon State University buys building for $19.8 million
- Developer buys county land in Sutherlin, plans to build resort
- Duck baseball players ready for Wasikowski Era
- Nonprofit looking to buy Springfield restaurant
- Consumer Reports: Should you buy travel insurance?
- Salem residents rush to buy bottled water