Eugene, ORE. -- The Emeralds scored two runs in the bottom of the second. That's all they would need as Eugene tops Hillsboro to open the season, 2-0.
The Hops allowed a run to score on a balk before giving up an RBI double to Edmond Americaan.
The Emeralds pitching staff allowed just five hits all game. Zach Mort went four scoreless innings while striking out five in the start.
Eduarniel Nunez, Carlos Vega and Ivan Medina pitched a scoreless final five innings. Vega picked up with win while Medina earned the save.
Not only did Emeralds fans witness a win, but the first 1,000 patrons received a replica Northwest League championship ring.
Game two of the three-game opening home stand is set for 7:05 p.m. Saturday at PK Park.
- Ems open season with win
- Ems shut out at home
- Eugene Ems introduce new inclusivity plan
- Ems hit grand slam with promotional efforts
- Crab season opens in Oregon
- Eugene Ems raises funds for Puerto Rico following Hurricane Maria
- Eugene Ems host third straight NWL Championship series
- Ems ticket vouchers up for grabs with children's book drive
- Eugene opens tree planting season early
- Beavers Close Out Regular Season With Win