EUGENE, Ore. -- Employees from businesses on Chambers Street in Eugene said they are frustrated over a homeless camp that has been growing on the street over the past two weeks.
Employees said they found trash, needles and feces near and on the businesses’ properties.
"We're at our wits end,” said MarciAnn Yantz, an Accounting Coordinator at Pacific Metal Fab. "We're law-abiding, tax-paying citizens, and yet we're being penalized for the actions of others."
Yantz said Tuesday night a fence on the company’s property was ripped open, and she believes people from the camp are sneaking in after hours.
Mark Sylvia, a man who’s called Chambers Street home for four days, said he feels like he has no choice but to live there and said he has nowhere else to go.
Sylvia said ever since he’s been there, his nights have been filled with the loud sound of an airhorn. A sound that he said is aimed at forcing him out.
"I was considering getting my own airhorn and blasting it back or getting a megaphone that says, we hear you airhorn, but we just don't know where to go,” Sylvia said. “We're just trying to survive."
Yantz said she just wants the mess to go away.
"When does it stop? When do we quit acquiring the cost because of their disrespect and disregard for our facility and our employees?” Yantz said.
Yantz said she does her best at helping homeless people by giving any food left over from company parties to Eugene Mission and donating blankets.
She said she reached out to the city and they said the company will be responsible for paying for any cleanup work because it is on their property.
Employees from A & K Development across the street from Pacific Metal Fab said they have also experienced similar issues.
- Employees on Chambers Street frustrated over growing homeless camp
- Homeless camp on Chambers Street cleared out in Eugene
- City of Eugene to clean up homeless camp on Chambers Street
- Chamber of Commerce chimes in on homeless camp reversal
- Special Report: Homeless Camp Costs
- Lane County offenders clean up homeless camp
- Homeless camp moves following city order
- Astoria clears homeless camps on city forestland
- Eugene reverses decision on downtown homeless camp
- Veterans express frustration at VA town hall