EUGENE, Ore. ---The Eugene Police Department said an alert Crime Prevention Specialist played a big role in locating a stolen truck and the alleged suspects Friday morning,
Police said they received a call that two unknown suspects stole a 2018 White Ford F150 near Cal Young Road and Norkenzie Road.
Steven Chambers, a Crime Prevention Specialist with Eugene Police, said he spotted the stolen truck driving on Coburg Road and in neighborhoods north of Monroe Middle School with two people inside. He said he alerted officers who tried to stop the truck but police said it sped away.
"We are not police officers so we can't stop anybody but we are the eyes and ears for the department," Chambers said.
Police said they later found the truck abandoned in the 300 block of Honeysuckle Road in Eugene. One of the suspects in the vehicle, who has since been identified as Tanner Glenn Mace, was found by a patrol sergeant just west of the truck. The other suspect, a woman, has been identified as Colette Ashleyon Tritt and police said Chambers spotted her walking away from where they left the truck.
"I've had the pleasure to work as a team with patrol officers and detectives and sometimes this happens if you're in the right place at the right time," Chambers said.
Both of the suspects were taken into custody and officials said they were the only people in the truck.
Police said they have reunited the stolen truck with its owner.
Mace is being charged with unauthorized use of a vehicle and Tritt is being charged with unauthorized use of a vehicle and carrying a concealed weapon.
- Two people arrested after stolen vehicle found
- Three vehicles stolen from Eugene dealership
- Two people hospitalized after multiple-vehicle wreck
- Police chase down stolen Bigfoot Beverages vehicle on I-5
- Baby not seriously injured in stolen-vehicle crash
- Witnesses speak out after baby involved in stolen-vehicle crash
- Woman facing kidnapping charge in stolen-vehicle crash
- Roseburg man arrested after stolen car recovered
- Trailer stolen during Milepost 97 Fire found totaled, officials say
- Body found in submerged vehicle in Willamette River