Photo Gallery 3 Images
EUGENE, Ore. -- One Eugene woman said a drone battery caught fire inside of her house and caused major damage.
Tina Thomas said her family owned a Propel X-5 drone with a lithium battery. She said they followed the charging instructions and left the battery charging for 15 minutes, even though the instructions said you could charge it for 30 minutes.
Thomas said they unplugged the battery and then noticed it was smoking. That’s when the trouble began.
"Then it just shot out. I mean it was like a missile,” Thomas said.
She said the battery shot right into the carpet and lit it on fire, and then the charger port shot into the dog bed and lit that on fire.
Luckily no one was injured, but they ended up having to replace the carpet. They got rid of the drone because they didn’t want to risk another incident.
"It was terrible. It was a nightmare -- I'm telling you -- I just could not believe that a toy could do that,” Thomas said.
Thomas said by the time the Fire Marshall arrived, the battery had disintegrated.
- Exploding drone battery causes major damage to Eugene home
- Air mattress battery explodes inside Eugene home
- Fire damages Eugene businesses
- Chicken coop catches fire, damages home in south Eugene
- Trailer burns, explodes in Marcola
- I-105 construction causing major delays in Eugene
- Klondike Fire explodes, threatens homes in southern Oregon
- Eye in the sky: Meet Eugene police's drone fleet
- Eugene woman finds drone hovering outside bedroom window
- Fire damages three Springfield homes