SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- A driver who asked Springfield police to shoot and kill him led them on a 35-minute pursuit starting just before 2 a.m. Tuesday.
Police began following a vehicle driven by David Mark Schieres, 43, when they saw him driving erratically in the 4700 block of Main Street in Springfield. Schieres later told police that he slammed on his brakes and skidded to a stop in the middle of Main Street in order to get their attention.
Police caught up with Schieres’ vehicle near Bob Straub Parkway, and Schieres then fled southbound, abruptly stopping near Daisy Street.
Schieres then began yelling at officers and asking them to kill him, police said. He eventually locked his car doors and drove southbound on Bob Straub Parkway at speeds exceeding 75 mph. Schieres led police through Jasper and Pleasant Hill before entering Eugene on Franklin Boulevard.
Police said that during the pursuit Schieres swerved into oncoming lanes, slammed on the brakes and drank from a can of beer. Schieres avoided multiple spike strips, but eventually got a flat tire.
He stopped his vehicle at 28th and G streets in Springfield and got out. He then yelled at the police officers, ignored their commands and was taken to the ground by a police dog.
Once in custody, Schieres continued to ask police to shoot and kill him, police said.
About 30 minutes prior to the pursuit, Schieres was named as a suspect who broke a residential window at an apartment complex in west Eugene.
Schieres is receiving medical treatment for a dog bite wound, and is being held for attempting to elude a police officer, reckless driving, resisting arrest and DUII.
- High-speed police pursuit ends in arrest in Springfield
- High-speed pursuit ends in crash, arrest
- Police chase ends in Springfield arrest
- Two arrested after police chase through Eugene ends in Springfield
- Winston man arrested after police pursuit
- Man arrested in Linn County after high-speed police chase
- Morning car theft and pursuit end in arrests
- Springfield standoff ends in suicide
- UPDATE: Police pursuit ends in Low Pass, suspect ID'd
- Wanted woman facing charges after Springfield pursuit ends in fiery crash