PHILOMATH, Ore. -- The city of Philomath has issued a drinking water warning because it could be contaminated with potentially harmful bacteria.
Public works officials said there was a loss of water pressure in the distribution system Wednesday morning, and that could mean there is bacteria in the water supply. They said the bacteria could make you sick and is especially concerning for people with weak immune systems.
These are the instructions listed on the city website:
"DO NOT DRINK THE WATER WITHOUT BOILING IT FIRST. Bring all water to a boil, let it boil for one full minute, and let it cool before using, or use bottled water. Boiled or bottled water should be used for drinking, making ice, brushing teeth, washing dishes, and food preparation until further notice. Boiling kills bacteria and other organisms in the water.
"Potentially harmful bacteria include Fecal coliforms and E. coli which are bacteria whose presence indicates that the water may be contaminated with human or animal wastes. Microbes in these wastes can cause diarrhea, cramps, nausea, headaches, or other symptoms. They may pose a special health risk for infants, young children, and people with severely compromised immune systems."
They said they anticipate resolving the problem by the end of the work day on Thursday. They will let the public know when tests show no bacteria in the water.
- Philomath residents need to boil drinking water
- Canyonville residents must boil drinking water, officials say
- Philomath City Council considers new water treatment plant proposal
- Electric fan caused Philomath house fire
- Salem drinking water advisory lifted
- Crash near Philomath leads to closures on Highway 34
- Philomath football player with special needs scores touchdown
- Threat against Philomath High School confirmed as a hoax
- Drinking water advisory issued for Siltcoos Lake
- Keizer offers drinking water to Salem after advisory