STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Drinking water advisory issued for Siltcoos Lake

Health officials said low levels of toxins have been detected in the water, so people who get drinking water directly from the lake should use another source.

Posted: Oct 19, 2018 7:38 PM

FLORENCE, Ore. – Health officials are warning people who get their drinking water directly from Siltcoos Lake about cyanotoxins detected in the water.

Low levels of the toxins, produced from harmful algae blooms, were discovered in the lake about seven miles south of Florence off Highway 101.

People who get drinking water directly from the lake are recommended to use an alternative drinking source for vulnerable family members and pets. This includes children younger than five, pregnant and nursing women, the elderly and those with compromised immune systems.

Toxins have not been found in finished or treated drinking water.

South Coast Water District is monitoring the toxin levels in the lake and will notify those using private intakes and using in-home treatment systems when the toxins drop to safe levels.

Officials said the toxin levels in the lake are too low to issue a recreational use health advisory, so it is safe to swim in the lake or do activities such as water skiing.

Article Comments

Eugene
Broken Clouds
61° wxIcon
Hi: 66° Lo: 53°
Feels Like: 61°
Corvallis
Overcast
60° wxIcon
Hi: 66° Lo: 51°
Feels Like: 60°
Roseburg
Overcast
60° wxIcon
Hi: 66° Lo: 53°
Feels Like: 60°
North Bend
Broken Clouds
62° wxIcon
Hi: 66° Lo: 54°
Feels Like: 62°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner

LATEST FORECAST

Community Events