DORENA, Ore. -- The daughter of a couple who lives in Dorena says they have been without phone service for two weeks and that she only hopes that doesn't cost someone their life
Lori McGowen says she tried to reach her parents for days and could not get ahold of them.
"Because of their age because my mother has heart failure because my dad is in early stages of dementia of course I was very concerned that they didn't have any ability to call out for help," McGowen said.
When the roads were finally clear McGowen says she drove out to Dorena where she learned that because of the storm, her parents had no phone service... and they weren't alone. She says the whole town was without it.
McGowen said she was afraid someone would get hurt and not be able to call for help and it wasn't long before exactly that happened.
She said her parent's neighbor broke their leg and since they couldn't call for help they had to drive themselves to Cottage Grove for care.
McGowen eventually arranged for her parents to stay with her in Creswell and not too long after, her mother fell ill with pneumonia.
McGowen says she is scared to think about what could have happened if they weren't with her.
KEZI tried contacting CenturyLink for comment and could not reach them.
- Dorena still without phone service
- State issues advisory for Dorena Lake
- Algae blooms prompt advisory for Dorena Reservoir
- Homes, structures destroyed by fire near Dorena
- Officials: Possible threat resolved at Dorena School
- Advisories lifted at Dorena Reservoir and Upper Klamath Lake
- Woman starts donation drive to support Dorena Lake
- Homes burned near Dorena not covered by fire district
- Brothers who survived Dorena fire persevere after losing everything
- Donation drive for Dorena Lake fire victims making progress