COTTAGE GROVE, Ore. -- The aftermath of the Wednesday night fire on Row River Road has hit two brothers hard.
Richard Bese and his brother Benjamin Bese survived the "Row Fire," but they told KEZI 9 News it's been rough, considering they lost their home and dog.
"Being run down, and tired, still half confused, and not knowing what's coming up next," Richard Bese said.
They're currently staying at the Relax Inn in Cottage Grove with the help of St. Vincent de Paul. The Red Cross will be meeting with the brothers to begin the process of offering help.
The brothers say now it's just a matter of building from the ashes.
"Just one foot in in front of the other, one day at a time, that's all it is," Bese said.
The Bese brothers have suffered loss many times over the years. Richard not only lost his dog and home to the fire, but he lost his wife to cancer in 2012. Richard and his late wife bought the property in 1992. Despite it all, Benjamin and Richard are determined to persevere, taking it one day at a time. They say "quit" isn't part of their vocabulary.
"You just can't lay down and die, and I'm not ready for that yet," Bese said. "We're going to look for a fifth-wheel trailer that we can set there and just start cleaning up the mess."
- Brothers who survived Dorena fire persevere after losing everything
- Homes, structures destroyed by fire near Dorena
- Dorena still without phone service
- State issues advisory for Dorena Lake
- Algae blooms prompt advisory for Dorena Reservoir
- Officials: Possible threat resolved at Dorena School
- Homes burned near Dorena not covered by fire district
- Donation drive for Dorena Lake fire victims making progress
- Totem pole at Sheldon High sends message of perseverance
- Advisories lifted at Dorena Reservoir and Upper Klamath Lake