BREAKING NEWS Corvallis man found guilty of murdering Russian woman Full Story

Dog owner issues warning after toxic mushroom makes puppy sick

David Matthews said Sky ate a mushroom from a bed last week on 7th Avenue and Willamette Street and became very sick.

Posted: Oct 24, 2018 6:28 PM
Updated: Oct 24, 2018 6:37 PM

EUGENE, Ore. -- A dog owner in Eugene wants to warn other pet owners to keep a close eye on their pets in an area of downtown Eugene after he said his dog became sick after eating a mushroom.

David Matthews said Sky ate a mushroom from a bed last week on 7th Avenue and Willamette Street and became very sick.

Last week, Matthews said he knew something was wrong when Sky started to have dry heaves.

"I took him to the vet and they ran blood work on him and said, 'This is a very sick puppy,'" Matthews said.

Matthews said the vet told him it was salmon poisoning, but he wasn't convinced.

He went back to the bed on 7th and Willamette to search for the mushroom last week, and found a mushroom similar to the one Sky tried to eat.

"I called up the Cascadia  Mycological  Society, and they put me in touch with one of their top identifiers," he said. "So, we went in and he cut it open and sure enough, right in the middle of the mushroom was a little mushroom growing inside, and he sort of took a deep breath and said, 'This is a death cap,' and I said, 'Oh,' and he said, 'Yeah, that's a dog killer.'"

His wife, Wenlyn Wu, said she went to the bed Wednesday and found another mushroom like the one Sky tried to eat.

KEZI 9 News spoke with a park specialist with the city of Eugene who examined the bed Wednesday. He said he's never seen mushrooms like these.

Matthews said Sky was in the hospital for 60 hours but is doing okay now.

"Literally, just in the last couple days, he has his monster hours, which is his very excited times, and they've come back full on, and so for a 12-week-old puppy, we're loving it," Matthews said.

Matthews said he's facing at least $3,000 in medical bills.

KEZI reached out to city officials and the Cascadia Mycological Society, but has not heard back.

Article Comments

49° wxIcon
Hi: 48° Lo: 30°
Feels Like: 49°
49° wxIcon
Hi: 51° Lo: 28°
Feels Like: 47°
53° wxIcon
Hi: 50° Lo: 32°
Feels Like: 53°
North Bend
49° wxIcon
Hi: 55° Lo: 37°
Feels Like: 43°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner