NEWPORT, Ore. -- It is not every day that you come face to jaw with a leopard shark, explain the best practices for “hugging” a sea urchin or create decorative birthday cakes for sea otters; unless you’re an Oregon Coast Aquarium volunteer.
The Oregon Coast Aquarium is seeking volunteers. If you’re a young aspiring marine biologist, a seasoned diver, or simply an ocean or animal advocate, anyone interested in spending an exciting summer on the Aquarium’s volunteer team is encouraged to attend one of the upcoming events listed below:
• Volunteer Dive Recruiting Day – Saturday, March 3, 2018 at the Aquarium
• Lincoln County Volunteer Fair – 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., Saturday, March 10, 2018 at Newport’s Parks & Recreation facility
• Interpreter, Concierge, and Youth Volunteer Recruitment Day – 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Saturday, April 14, 2018 at the Aquarium
Just a few examples of our many volunteer roles include public interpretation of our exhibits, preparing animal diets, diving Passages of the Deep for animal observation and habitat maintenance, and contributing to education in the classroom. Youth volunteers take a lead in conservation education in the summer months while exploring marine careers. Many roles require no previous experience, as training is provided.
A volunteer’s schedule and training is dependent upon their position and duties. Interpretive volunteers collectively connect with over 400,000 visitors each year and ensure that guests leave the Aquarium with a better understanding of and appreciation for our incredible coast. Speaking on behalf of animals and their environments is no simple task, which is why the Oregon Coast Aquarium treats these volunteer recruits to a three-day crash course on the coastal and marine fauna of Oregon, beginning on May 5.
Additional perks for Aquarium volunteers include:
• Complimentary Aquarium membership and free passes.
• Invitations to participate in exclusive lectures and continuing education programs.
• A behind the scenes look at a unique Aquarium that is consistently ranked among the ten best in the U.S.A.
• Subscription to the monthly newsletter, The Upwelling.
• Reciprocal visits with institutional partners
• Social opportunities with volunteer colleagues and recognition for individual service
• Discounts at the Wildlife Trading Company Gift Shops and Cafe in the Aquarium.
• The opportunity to join rank with nearly 350 other outstanding volunteers that share a passion for marine science.
For more information, please attend one of the volunteer recruiting events listed above, visit aquarium.org or contact the Aquarium’s Volunteer Services department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dive into volunteering at the Oregon Coast Aquarium
- Oregon marijuana prices dive and sales soar
- Eugene Dive Club volunteers clean McKenzie River Saturday
- Earthquakes strike off Oregon Coast
- Small earthquake hits Oregon's coast
- Earthquake recorded off Oregon coast
- Eugene Scuba Dive Club Clean Up
- Crab harvesting closure extended on Oregon coast
- Surfers brave the storm on Oregon coast
- Whale carcass rolls ashore along Oregon Coast