COOS COUNTY, Ore. -- Coos County District Attorney Paul Frasier has announced officers were justified in shooting Eric Sweet on June 23.
He made that decision based on the video and audio evidence, as well as the testimonies given by each of the officers.
Frasier explained the details of what happened on June 23 during a press conference Tuesday. He said Eric Sweet approached officers at the Coos Bay Police Department, believing they were looking for him and his vehicle.
They said they weren’t and were called to another incident. On their way there, dispatch told them Sweet’s license had been suspended.
That led to a pursuit of Sweet’s vehicle, ultimately ending at his home. He came out of his home with a loaded rifle, was told several times to drop it, and pointed it at an officer.
The officers opened fire, killing Sweet.
Frasier said the three officers involved were put on administrative leave during the investigation, but can return any time.
“Under our officer-involved shooting plan, the officers are asked to go and see a psychologist to make sure for fitness to proceed or fitness to work exam and make sure they’re okay," Frasier said. "It’ll be up to the individual agencies when they come back.”
Frasier said meth was found in Sweet’s system as well as in his vehicle.
They found meth pipes in his home and four vials of testosterone, which Frasier said could be used as a steroid.
The toxicology for any testosterone possibly in Sweet’s system should be back sometime in the next three to four weeks.
- DA: Officers justified in Coos Bay officer-involved shooting
- DA: Officer-involved shooting at Cascade Middle School was justified
- DA: Use of deadly force justified in Cottage Grove officer-involved shooting
- DA: Use of deadly force justified in Eugene officer-involved shooting
- DA finds use of force justified in two officer-involved shootings
- Fatal officer-involved shooting in Springfield ruled justified
- Police fatally shoot Coos Bay man
- Police union, CLDC respond after DA officer-involved shooting report
- Coos Bay man charged with murder
- Coos Bay deputies arrest bank robbery suspect