EUGENE, Ore. -- Eugene city councilors are considering an ordinance that would require new marijuana retailers to be 1,000 feet away from other dispensaries.
KEZI spoke to Justin Higham, the manager at Terpene Station off of River Road.
Higham said when talks of the ordinance first started back in March of last year, many people in the industry were against it, especially those who were planning to open new shops.
However, he said now most of the 50 licensed recreational dispensaries in Eugene are in favor of it because it would only apply to new retailers and would potentially cut down on the already crowded amount of shops in town.
"The City of Eugene is saturated with shops at this point,” said Higham. “So it's overdue, the market I think will settle, but there's enough shops.”
Higham said he understands why some in the industry might think the ordinance would be harmful, but still thinks it is for the best.
"From a pure capitalistic perspective that we shouldn't regulate growth in new business, I understand that in relation to other types of businesses, but not with cannabis," Higham said.
City staff said 36 of the 50 licensed recreational dispensaries are within 1,000 feet from at least one other retail business. They said most of the businesses close to each other are in the downtown area or 6th and 7th Avenues east of Chambers St.
City staff said this will be an ongoing process. On Wednesday during a work session, city council voted 4 to 2 in favor of holding a public hearing in the coming months to get input from the community.
- Dispensaries react to proposed marijuana shop buffer zone
- Marijuana dispensary buffer zone under consideration
- Pot buffer zone moves forward
- OLCC fines Coos Bay marijuana dispensary
- Oregon lawmakers, dispensaries respond to marijuana policy change
- Marijuana dispensaries put twist on Halloween with Tokes 'N' Treats
- Eugene City Council takes on smoking, pot buffer zones and turkeys
- Two Eugene marijuana shops caught selling marijuana to minors
- Neighbors react to proposed LTD bus station
- Three area pot shops caught selling marijuana to minors