EUGENE, Ore. -- Eugene travelers will now be able to take direct flights to the Chicago O'Hare International Airport starting Thursday night.
United Airlines will begin once-daily service to and from the Eugene Airport with a flight landing at the terminal at 9:50 p.m. every day and departing for a red eye flight at 11:40 p.m. every night.
“We are thrilled with the addition of nonstop service to Chicago O’Hare, one of the top destinations in demand for the Eugene market,” Eugene Airport Director Tim Doll said. “United Airlines is making a significant impact in our local commercial air service.”
This flight will open up access to the Eastern seaboard as well as serve as a connecting location to international locations.
Travelers who have to choose between Eugene and the Portland International Airport said Eugene is so much less of a hassle when it comes to both traveling for leisure and for business.
"We don't have to deal with the I-5 traffic going to Portland, and it's just a quick 50-55 minute drive for us," said Corvallis resident Erwin Laureano. "It's really convenient. The parking lot here always has parking, and it's really painless as far as airports go."
Andrew Martz, airport services manager, said the decision to add more flight locations is ultimately up to the airport, but plans for expanding the airport are not too far off.
"We're hoping five years or so to start expanding the terminal, putting in a whole new concourse, concourse C, to really expand the number of gates we have here at the airport."
Martz says the Eugene Airport has been breaking records for the past eight years for traffic going in and out of their terminals.
- Direct flights to Chicago begin at Eugene Airport
- Daily nonstop flights to Chicago coming to Eugene Airport
- Snow fall delays flights at Eugene Airport
- Eugene flights to Chicago to be temporarily suspended
- Eugene Airport will offer new nonstop flight to San Diego
- United Airlines plans nonstop football flights at Eugene Airport
- Eugene Pro Rodeo begins
- Curbside composting begins in Eugene
- Eugene Airport shares holiday travel tips
- Eugene Airport adds new security screening lane