COTTAGE GROVE, Ore. -- Lane County sheriff's deputies say they shot and killed a man after he approached and threatened them with a large knife.
This happened around 1 a.m. Saturday in the 37000 block of Row River Road.
Investigators say they received a report of a male and female arguing on the property. After learning the man was in an outbuilding, they used a loudspeaker to order him out.
After several minutes, deputies say, the man came out of the building and advanced toward them with a knife. That's when deputies opened fire, killing the man.
The sheriff's office did not name the man who was killed.
Some neighbors say they aren't surprised by this activity.
Thomas Hans has been living in Cottage Grove for 6 years and he says the further up-river you go, the worse things get.
"Going up-river it gets kind of rough from what I've heard and by the number of police sirens I hear going up there," said Hans.
Other neighbors said that they never see any officers head up-river alone -- always in pairs.
Investigators say that deputies had been on the scene earlier that night for a similar report, but the couple could not be found at that time.
The Interagency Deadly Force Investigation Team is investigating.
- Deputies shoot and kill Cottage Grove man
- Deputies identify man killed in Cottage Grove shooting
- Friends remember Cottage Grove man killed in officer-involved shooting
- Deputies identify motorcyclist killed in crash along Cottage Grove Reservoir
- Pedestrian killed on I-5 near Cottage Grove
- Cottage Grove armory sparks controversy
- Cottage Grove carousel wins award
- Missing Cottage Grove woman located
- Cottage Grove celebrates Earth Day
- Cottage Grove aquatic center reopens