EUGENE, Ore. -- A rollover crash led Lane County deputies to finding explosive devices in a west Eugene home last week, court documents allege.
According to a search warrant affidavit filed in Lane County on July 18, deputies said they responded to a rollover crash on Royal Avenue. They said the people in the vehicle had left the scene. At the scene, they said they found a cell phone that had text messages on it saying people were planning to burglarize the west Eugene home.
During a welfare check at the home on Surrey Lane, deputies said they found the front door open and the screen door ripped off. Deputies allege that they found explosive materials inside the home and called the Eugene Police Department's bomb squad.
In the court documents, investigators included a photo of a device they allegedly found in the home. A member of Eugene's bomb squad described it as mortar-style firework and shotgun shell duct-taped to a one-gallon propane canister.
Deputies said they confiscated the dangerous materials.
Neighbor Anita Devany said she never thought something like this would happen so close her home.
"It's a pretty quiet neighborhood," Devany said. "For something like that going on in this neighborhood, it's pretty scary and profound."
KEZI 9 News spoke to a man who lives on the property, but he didn't want to comment. Court records show deputies have confiscated the man's driver's license and passport. He is not facing any charges.
KEZI 9 News reached out to the Lane County Sheriff's Office to learn more but has not heard back.
- Deputies find explosive materials in Eugene home, court documents allege
- Deputies investigating home invasion robbery in Eugene
- Explosion severely injures Eugene woman
- Free document shredding event held in Eugene
- Police: small explosion in west Eugene
- Six Eugene apartments called unsafe after explosion
- Explosives found outside Eugene police station
- Explosion destroys food cart in Eugene
- Deputies searching for 2 men after Eugene home invasion
- Family sues Eugene nursing home after alleged scabies-related death