EUGENE, Ore.-- Ramp closures are in effect for Delta and Beltline highways. It's all part of a new construction project that will make the interchange between highways safer and less congested.
The current system was designed decades ago, when Eugene was a rural town.
Over the years, it has become more and more crowded, allowing for accidents and leaving people frustrated.
A spokesperson with the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) said the main priority with the new design is safety. "Safety is our number one priority. That's why we talk about things like how can we improve the roadway... what do we need in the roadways to get from here to there safely? It is a key component of everyone's life," Angela Beers Seydel said.
Staff with ODOT said the new design will replace and enchance what’s already there.
It’ll completely eliminate the cloverleaf pattern drivers travel in now. ODOT will put in new ramps from northbound Delta onto eastbound Beltline.
There will also be a new bridge that will allow people to go from nothbound Delta to westbound Beltline.
The eastbound OR 569 on-ramp from northbound Delta highway will close Tuesday, December 8th at 8 p.m. It will then close every night at the same time through December 16th.
The eastbound OR 569 off-ramp to southbound Delta highway will be closed between 8 friday night and 6 a.m. saturday morning.
As of Tuesday, construction had not started. The week will be spent drilling to test soil for the project. Beers Seydel said it will take about three years to complete.
- Delta and Beltline highway closures precede exchange construction
- Traffic Alert: Delta Highway, Beltline ramp closures
- Construction to begin soon on Delta Highway and Beltline interchange
- Construction on Delta/Beltline interchange halted after workplace injury
- Special Report: Rebuilding Beltline
- Hayward Field Construction Closures
- Beltline lane closures set to begin on Sunday
- Worker killed at Beltline construction site; investigation underway
- Field fire briefly closes Interstate 5 near Beltline Highway
- Beltline reopens after 6-vehicle crash