EUGENE, Ore. – The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality issued 16 penalties to Oregon businesses in October for environmental violations, totaling $231,915.
Among the local companies affected are Hexion Inc. in Springfield, Roseburg Forest Products in Dillard, Groundwork Excavation in Myrtle Point and Vanco Contracting in Lebanon.
Roseburg Forest Products topped the list with a $38,400 fine regarding air quality.
Officials said the violations included failing to hire a licensed asbestos abatement contractor, illegal open burning, discharging untreated wastewater to Oregon rivers and providing underground storage tank and heating oil tank services without a license.
Below is the full list of penalties:
- Arcadia Environmental, Inc., $1,500, Newport (asbestos)
- Bernard M Hanson Trust, $2,909, Independence (asbestos)
- Hexion Inc., $15,485, Springfield (stormwater)
- JH Kelly Construction Inc., $6,000, Portland (underground storage tanks)
- Lillie, Joshua Benjamin dba Groundwork Excavation, $3,000, Myrtle Point (heating oil tank)
- McCue, Tracy Jean, $22,450, Huntington (asbestos)
- Meirow, Jim, $21,600, Canby (solid waste)
- Mountain West Investment Corporation, $33,012, Monmouth (stormwater)
- Oregon Cherry Growers LLC, $4,600, The Dalles (wastewater)
- PNW Metal Recycling, Inc., $3,209, Portland (air quality)
- Polygon WLH LLC, $19,600, Tigard (water quality)
- Roseburg Forest Products, $38,400, Dillard (air quality)
- Roth, Ron dba R.A. Roth Construction & Son, $17,600, Canby (solid waste)
- RPH Sandy Blvd, $1,500, Portland (air quality)
- Vanco Contracting, LLC, $14,800, Lebanon (asbestos)
- Young, Travis Wilson, $26,250, Huntington (asbestos)
Companies and individuals have 20 days to pay the fines or file an appeal. They may be able to offset part of the penalty by funding a supplemental environmental project, state officials said. Some of the fines include requirements to prevent ongoing violations or prevent additional harm.
For more information about the violations, CLICK HERE.
- DEQ fines Roseburg Forest Products, others for violations
- DEQ fining Frito-Lay for stormwater monitoring violation
- Roseburg Forest Products lays off 90 at Dillard plywood plant
- Roseburg Forest Products reaches settlement over water rights
- Roseburg Forest Products announces more layoffs at Dillard plant
- Oregon DEQ extends smoke advisory from wildfires
- Oregon issues $187K fine to dairy for 224 violations
- Contractor fined $120K for safety violations at Eugene development
- Roseburg imposes fines on owners of derelict buildings
- DEQ to hold meeting on Lebanon groundwater cleanup