EUGENE, Ore. -- The man who was shot and killed by a Eugene police officer on Nov. 30 was Eliborio Rodrigues Jr., 40, according to the Lane County district attorney.
The officer who shot Rodrigues was identified as Samuel Tykol, who was hired by the Eugene Police Department in February 2016.
The incident happened around 12:30 a.m. in the 1400 block of Acacia Avenue, which is near Walmart in north Eugene. A police statement said it began when Tykol attempted to "stop" Rodrigues, after which a fight broke out.
Police say Tykol was treated for injuries and released from the hospital. Rodrigues received emergency care but was pronounced dead. Police have not said why Tykol stopped Rodrigues, nor if the man had any weapons.
Records show that Rodrigues pleaded guilty to assault with a deadly weapon in 1998 in a case out of California and was sentenced to two years in prison.
Beth Ball, who lives on Acacia Avenue, said it's frustrating not know what happened.
"We have no idea what happened. We don't know if it was just a random thing and it was just unfortunate. We don't know if the person was trying to break into homes," Ball said. "We have no idea, and it's just very unnerving to not hear anything."
Jennifer Saggaf, who lives down the street from where the shooting happened, woke up to a knock on the door from police who told her the man killed was not a resident of the neighborhood.
"He said that somebody was shot down the street and they were going house to house to ask people if they knew anything," Saggaf said.
Neighbors reported hearing between two and three gunshots.
The Lane County Interagency Deadly Force Investigation Team is investigating.
- DA releases name of man killed by police
- Meth killed man tased by Albany police, DA rules
- DA: Bend driver killed self during traffic stop
- Police union, CLDC respond after DA officer-involved shooting report
- DA: Sheriff’s sergeant justified in shooting Cottage Grove man
- Police release name of woman killed in Medford
- Police identify man killed in crash
- Man killed by Portland police officer
- Man shot by police at cafe released from hospital, arrested
- North Bend teen who killed mom's ex was justified, DA says