COTTAGE GROVE, Ore. -- Lane County Sheriff’s deputies’ use of deadly force at a Cottage Grove marijuana farm earlier this month was lawful, Lane County District Attorney Patty Perlow said Tuesday.
Authorities received a report overnight July 12 that Joey Loop, 40, was at the property on Cedar Park Road, intoxicated and threatening to fight the caller. The caller said Loop discharged a firearm in their direction. A second resident called 911 reporting hearing five gunshots and yelling.
Perlow said deputies responded and attempted to contact Loop for several hours using a loud speaker. A crisis negotiation team was also employed, and the sheriff’s office activated the special response team at about 1:30 a.m.
Roughly two hours later when a deputy disabled a motion light close to Loop’s residence on the property, Loop emerged from his front door.
At first Loop complied with deputies’ instructions to put his hands in the air. Deputies inquired about the pistol holstered on Loop’s hip and instructed him not to touch his firearm.
Loop advanced toward the deputies and was told multiple times to stop and lay down on the ground. When Loop was 10 feet away, he reached toward his holstered pistol and removed it, Perlow said.
Deputy Jason Franklin believed Loop was going to shoot and fired two rounds, and Deputy Brian DeVault fired one round.
Loop’s gun was loaded.
Immediately following the shooting, Perlow said Loop received medical attention and was transported to the hospital, where he was later declared dead.
The Lane County Interagency Deadly Force Investigation Team investigated the shooting. They located shell casings matching Loop’s gun from the shots residents reported to authorities earlier in the night.
Loop was an employee at the marijuana farm, which is owned by One Gro.
- DA: Use of deadly force justified in Cottage Grove officer-involved shooting
- DA: Sheriff’s sergeant justified in shooting Cottage Grove man
- DA: Use of deadly force justified in Eugene officer-involved shooting
- DA: Officers justified in Coos Bay officer-involved shooting
- DA: Officer-involved shooting at Cascade Middle School was justified
- Man dead after officer-involved shooting in Cottage Grove
- Friends remember Cottage Grove man killed in officer-involved shooting
- DA finds use of force justified in two officer-involved shootings
- Deputies shoot and kill Cottage Grove man
- Cottage Grove armory sparks controversy