SAGINAW, Ore. – Fire crews have fully contained the fire that destroyed a mill near Cottage Grove Sunday night.
Fire Chief John Wooten with South Lane County Fire & Rescue said on Monday crews were putting water on hot spots and establishing a perimeter where the 180,000 square foot Whitsell Manufacturing mill used to be to keep the fire from spreading.
READ MORE: Fire destroys Whitsell mill in Saginaw
He said nearly 50 firefighters from multiple agencies from throughout the county were sent to help on the fire, that he said is the most destructive fire he has ever responded to.
"This is the largest structure fire I’ve been on in my career,” Wooten said. “This is the fastest moving mill fire I think I've ever seen. From the time we got the call until the time the structure was completely on the ground. It was less than 30 minutes."
He said the damages are estimated to cost up to $10 million.
Wooten said crews plan on monitoring the scene the next few days and they will start their investigation into what may have caused the fire on Tuesday.
- Crews fully contain Saginaw mill fire
- Fire destroys Whitsell mill in Saginaw
- Lebanon Fire crews battle blaze at old mill site
- One person killed in Highway 99 crash south of Saginaw
- Armed standoff stretches into early morning hours in Saginaw
- Officials: Whitsell mill fire accidental
- Fire crews respond to wood pile fire at mill in Junction City
- Santiam Park Fire fully lined in Lyons, ODF says
- Field fire in Glenwood area fully contained, officials say
- Community reacts to Whitsell Mill Fire