EUGENE, Ore. -- Several crews worked to put out a large industrial fire in West Eugene Saturday morning. The fire sent a huge billow of smoke into the sky.
The call came in at about 5:40 a.m. for a structure fire off of Royal Avenue and Greenhill Road.
Fire crews said it took them about an hour to put out the fire. The fire happened at Armur Powdercoating and Sandblasting shortly after 5 a.m.
Markus Lay, a Batallion Chief with Eugene-Springfield fire told KEZI 9 News that the building is used for welding, sand-blasting and powder coating. Crews said it was fully engulfed in flames when they arrived.
They said the metals involved due to the nature of the business made fire-fighting efforts challenging.
"It's an industrial manufacturing facility so it's a more dangerous place just to work when it's operating like it's suppose to," Lay said. "When it's on fire and it's dark out and you are unfamiliar with it, you have all those hazards."
Lay said there was a 1,000 gallon propane tank just north of the building. He said fire crews were able to put out the fire before it reached that tank.
Fire crews were also able to protect the call tower and primary residence. Both were threatened by the fire.
Lay said other challenges they faced while trying to put out the fire was limited access the access to water hydrants. The nearest one was half a mile away.
Fire crews said most of the damages happened in the processing building and the business office.
Multiple crews responded, including Lane Fire Authority.
Firefighters are warning people to not be alarmed if they see smoldering within the next couple of days.
- Crews battle large industrial fire in West Eugene
- Crews battle large blaze in Salem
- Junction City firefighters battle "challenging" industrial fire
- Fire crews battle field fire in Springfield
- Crews say cause of large fire in north Eugene is unknown
- Crews battle house fire in Coquille
- Crews from across Oregon battle Klamathon Fire
- Wildland fire crews battle blazes, extreme heat
- Crews battle fire in Glenwood area
- Crews battling brush fire near Vida