CRESWELL, Ore. -- An employee at the Creswell Super 8 Motel said the owner plans to rebuild after two fires ripped through the building. Meanwhile, city leaders hope the owner makes improvements or allows them to build a road.
Employee Tina Kuykendall said since the fire, they've been dealing with squatters breaking into rooms and stealing items. She is now patrolling the area at night.
"We have to worry about the area," Kuykendall said. "They are wanting to scrap and steal the TVs."
Kuykendall said $250,000 in damages were done after the two fires broke out days apart. Investigators said the first fire was electrical, and the second was caused by embers from the first fire igniting insulation.
Creswell City Manager Michelle Amberg said the motel has been underperforming and believes upgrading the motel could attract more visitors.
Kuykendall said the owner plans to do just that, but if the owner decides to sell, Amberg said the city hopes to build a road to an industrial area that the motel is currently blocking.
"It has a lot of potential commercially," Amberg said. "Of course, Creswell would welcome an upgrade to this hotel."
Brad Neathery, the manager of the nearby gas station, said he's not opposed to a new road but hopes the motel stays.
"It's nice for travelers," Neathery said. "Right off the interstate -- stop in, have a night's rest and get back on the road."
Kuykendall said the nine employees are getting help from the state, and the owner is checking on them regularly.
KEZI 9 News reached out to the owner for comment multiple times but did not hear back.
- Creswell Super 8 owner plans to rebuild after fires, employee says
- Creswell motel owners accused of arson in Super 8 fires
- Creswell fire damages offices
- Creswell fire leaves 3 homeless
- Owners of Whitsell mill want to rebuild
- Property owner cited after 61 neglected horses seized in Creswell
- Owners want horses back after mass seizure in Creswell
- Creswell lumber warehouse fire considered suspicious
- Creswell motel catches fire; 10 people evacuated
- Planned rally opposes recreational pot dispensary in Creswell