CRESWELL, Ore. -- Two motel owners are facing arson charges after two fires broke out at the Super 8 in Creswell in November.
Satinder Singh, 50, and Inder Singh, 29, were arrested Sunday and charged with one count of first-degree arson each.
"That's unconscionable," said George Hickman , who is traveling for the holidays. "When you spend good money, you expect to have a degree of safety, and if the place is on fire, that's not too safe."
RELATED: Motel catches fire in Creswell
Investigators initially said the first fire happened early on Thanksgiving morning and was caused by electrical problems. A second fire happened two days later that authorities said was caused when embers from the first fire reignited.
Police said there were six rooms rented and a minimum of seven people in the motel at the time of the fire on Thanksgiving.
Due to the suspicious nature of the fires, Oregon State Police said an arson unit assisted in the investigation. OSP said the fire was incendiary and intentionally set, and an investigation indicated that the two men planned to set the fire.
"I hope it gets straightened out," said Darrell Heckathorn, who lives near Creswell. "If they did intentional set it on fire, then they need to pay the price."
Diane Gage, who worked at the motel for the Singhs years ago, said she didn't like the way she has treated and quit just days after being hired.
"There was just something about them I just didn't care for," Gage said.
Officials at the Creswell Chamber of Commerce said the motel owners haven't been members in close to a year.
Both men will be in front of a judge again on Jan. 22.
- Creswell motel owners accused of arson in Super 8 fires
- Creswell motel catches fire; 10 people evacuated
- UPDATE: Second fire at Creswell motel linked to first fire
- Creswell fire damages offices
- Creswell Super 8 owner plans to rebuild after fires, employee says
- Eugene man accused of attacking motel owner in hate crime
- Creswell fire leaves 3 homeless
- Property owner cited after 61 neglected horses seized in Creswell
- Owners want horses back after mass seizure in Creswell
- Creswell lumber warehouse fire considered suspicious