COTTAGE GROVE, Ore. -- The Cottage Grove High School music teacher accused of sexually abusing a student for two years was arraigned on Friday where a no contact order was issued.
Police arrested Gabriel Dickinson Thursday on charges of sexual misconduct, sexual abuse and sodomy.
Police said a school resource officer got information from high school administrators about the alleged abuse this week.
Detectives said the abuse began two years ago when the student was 15 and in 10th grade, and it continued until this month.
KEZI spoke to one Cottage Grove High School student who never had Dickinson as a teacher but said his interactions with him were pleasant.
“He was nice. He was respectful. He would help you if you needed it,” said Zak Hutchison. “He was there to lend a helping hand.”
In a statement, the South Lane School District said:
"We have a care plan in place at Cottage Grove High School to meet the needs of staff and students at this time... We can assure you that nothing is more important to this district than the safety and well-being of each of our students."
Dickinson will be back in court in January.
- Cottage Grove High School music teacher arraigned
- Cottage Grove armory sparks controversy
- Cottage Grove carousel wins award
- Missing Cottage Grove woman located
- Cottage Grove celebrates Earth Day
- Cottage Grove aquatic center reopens
- Lockdown clears at Cottage Grove middle school
- Former Cottage Grove music teacher sentenced for sex abuse of student
- Cottage Grove teacher arrested for alleged sex abuse of student
- Cottage Grove warming center needs volunteers