BENTON COUNTY, Ore. – A Corvallis man was found guilty of murdering a Russian woman on Friday.
William Hargrove, 30, of Corvallis was also found guilty of identity theft and two counts of second-degree theft.
An attorney for Hargrove said they will be filing an appeal.
Last year a Benton County Grand Jury indicted Hargrove. He was arrested by the Benton County Sheriff’s Office in April 2017 in connection with the murder of 27-year-old Anna Repkina that happened on April 17, 2017.
Benton County prosecutor Amie Matusko said the crime happened on a logging road outside of Alsea. During the trial, they showed the jury evidence including the shotgun used in the murder that had Hargrove's fingerprints on it. She called the evidence against Hargrove overwhelming.
"It's all about all of the evidence and that was one of my major themes in this case," Matusko said. "(The jury) needed to consider all of the evidence. And all of the evidence was overwhelming and led them to the right conclusion."
Investigators said Repkina was born in Russia and had only been in Corvallis for a month before she was killed. She had no known relatives in the United States and was admitted through the Los Angeles International Airport with a valid passport issued by the government of Russia.
Matusko said that Repkina was Hargrove's fiancee. She said another woman Hargrove was in a relationship with gave him an ultimatum, saying he had to decide between her and Repkina. She said after killing Repkina he withdrew $800 dollars from her bank account and used the money to buy video games, cigars and more.
"We believe that justice was done in this case. It was done in a smooth and swift fashion," said Matusko.
The defense argued that the other woman Hargrove was in a relationship with pulled the trigger.
A date for a sentencing hearing has not been set.
- Corvallis man found guilty of murdering Russian woman
- Man found guilty of murdering Springfield mother
- Corvallis murderer sentenced to life in prison
- Man found guilty of murder and arson in McKenzie Bridge
- Man found guilty of murdering Eugene security guard
- Crash near Corvallis kills Albany woman
- Police: Corvallis man arrested for suffocating and kidnapping woman
- Missing Corvallis teen located
- Mapleton woman found guilty of animal neglect
- Man arrested after robbery outside Corvallis ATM