Coos Bay, Ore -- Coos Bay police officers found a man dead outside of his home yesterday at 3:21pm.
Police received a number of calls reporting an assault on the 1200 block of Minnesota Avenue. When officers got to the scene they found Elmer Dennis, 80, lying on the ground outside of his garage. An autopsy report will be conducted before the official cause of death is released. Officers say this is most likely the result of a homicide.
Dennis' grandson, James Thomasson, 29, is the suspect in this case.
Thomasson was living on the property. He hid from police when they got to the scene. They found him underneath a deck attached to the home.
He was uncooperative when police tried to arrest him and they had to user a tazer on him. Thomasson is currently in the hospital, but is expected to be released soon. Once he is released, he will be taken to the Coos County Jail.
- Grandson suspected in grandfather's death
- Coos Bay man killed, grandson held as suspect
- Grandson accused of murder after 87-year-old dies in hospital
- Grandmother, grandson stop in Eugene on viral national park tour
- Man accused of killing grandfather formally charged with murder
- Video shows woman getting kicked off a bus with 1-year-old grandson
- Suspect in school massacre to face death penalty
- Man suspected in mother's death arrested after standoff in Tualatin
- Lawyer for MAX attack suspect will argue against death penalty
- Neighbors suspect murder in 92-year-old Creswell woman's death